Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Evil vs. Magical Debate


It all starts of innocently enough. Looking through the news today I come upon an article about a "pink dolphin" and I investigate further. I think  "What a perfect transition from yesterdays rainbow post." But in reading up on the dolphin I discover that the impossibly cute pink dolphin wasn't just caught up in a simple chemical spill. But rather was a sinister albino

Almost all of us know instinctually to be afraid of albinos - mostly because of how evilly they are portrayed in films. I know this because with my crack detective work I came across a few articles that back up my claim- so if you are still not convinced I suggest you go here. Skip the boring prelude (obviously written by an albino) and get right to the good stuff. You see, irrefutable truth!!!

Then because I don't always dig through just the first page of internet image searches to bring you pointless blurbs I sometimes go to page 2. I came across an article listed in a real newspaper. The Seattle Times wrote an article last year on  Albinos being "hunted" for their body parts. Here are some direct quotes from the article.

"Many people in Tanzania — and across Africa, for that matter — believe albinos have magical powers.Tanzanian officials say witch doctors are now marketing albino skin, bones and hair as ingredients in potions that are promised to make people rich."

Now I don't know what to think. Magical power? I am aware that there are many documented cases of REAL magic. But I find it hard to shift my paradigm from evil to magic. All I really wanted to do was show a cute pink dolphin and now I am caught up in the age old "evil or magic" debate.

Screw it, I know albinos are evil (and maybe just a little bit magical) just like I know that this is awesome. 





4 comments:

  1. I am thinking it's a little evil to hunt albinos for their parts.... magical or not.... so, maybe, my answer is.... both?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree and have even joined a facebook page in opposition to the hunting of albinos.... I'll send you the link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that said though, that pink dolphin is creepy... and I think a little evil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think the whole prejudice outlook on albinism is simply ignorant, not to mention the prejudgement of them being evil... let alone magical in reality.

    ReplyDelete